Overall unemployment rate moved up to 6.5% with the biggest shift in Construction, Mining, which gained 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX market declined by 435 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 6.5%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX unemployment rate is 312 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 320 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 1.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 30,500; -300
- Government: 25,000; -200
- Education & Healthcare: 21,600; +100
- Manufacturing: 19,600; no change
- Construction, Mining: 17,400; +500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 16,300; +200
- Business Services: 14,500; no change
- Financial Services: 5,800; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,500; no change
- IT & Development: 900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.