Overall unemployment rate moved up to 5.4% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which lost 600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA market declined by 2,945 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 5.4%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA unemployment rate is 161 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 80 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 1.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.6%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 44,600; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 38,100; -600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 26,800; -300
- Government: 26,200; -200
- Manufacturing: 24,800; -100
- Business Services: 17,000; -100
- Construction, Mining: 10,300; no change
- Other Jobs: 9,600; +100
- Financial Services: 6,600; no change
- IT & Development: 1,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.