Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.1% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 1,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the York-Hanover, PA market declined by 1,887 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 4.1%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- York-Hanover, PA unemployment rate is 26 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 210 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 11.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.1%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 41,400; +200
- Manufacturing: 32,000; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 27,500; -700
- Business Services: 22,400; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 17,600; +1,200
- Government: 17,500; -1,400
- Construction, Mining: 12,600; +200
- Other Jobs: 9,800; +100
- Financial Services: 5,500; no change
- IT & Development: 1,000; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.