Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 4.1% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which lost 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the York-Hanover, PA market declined by 43 jobs in August and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- York-Hanover, PA unemployment rate is 31 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 170 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 8.9% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 41,100; -100
- Manufacturing: 32,000; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 27,500; +200
- Business Services: 22,700; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 17,800; -300
- Government: 16,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 13,000; +100
- Other Jobs: 9,900; no change
- Financial Services: 5,500; no change
- IT & Development: 1,000; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.