Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 1,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Worcester, MA-CT market rose by 1,475 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.5%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Worcester, MA-CT unemployment rate is 12 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 240 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 6.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.0% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 68,100; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 53,100; +200
- Government: 42,900; no change
- Business Services: 33,200; +800
- Manufacturing: 27,100; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 24,800; +1,600
- Financial Services: 13,300; -100
- Construction, Mining: 11,800; +200
- Other Jobs: 9,700; no change
- IT & Development: 2,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.