Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.7% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 1,700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Worcester, MA-CT market rose by 808 jobs in July and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Worcester, MA-CT unemployment rate is 8 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 240 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 1.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 69,300; +1,700
- Transportation & Utilities: 53,100; -500
- Government: 40,500; -900
- Business Services: 32,500; -400
- Manufacturing: 27,800; +300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 25,600; +200
- Financial Services: 13,500; +100
- Construction, Mining: 12,300; -300
- Other Jobs: 10,100; +200
- IT & Development: 2,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.