Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.7% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Wheeling, WV-OH market rose by 212 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 4.7%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Wheeling, WV-OH unemployment rate is 86 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 190 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 13.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -2.5%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 11,200; no change
- Government: 9,400; -600
- Manufacturing: 3,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.