Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.9% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Wheeling, WV-OH market declined by 794 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 4.9%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Wheeling, WV-OH unemployment rate is 111 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 60 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 14.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.4%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 11,200; no change
- Government: 8,600; -100
- Manufacturing: 3,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.