Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.8% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH market rose by 87 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 120 bps to 4.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH unemployment rate is 148 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 30 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in September versus prior month by -6.9% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 8,700; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,600; +200
- Government: 7,300; no change
- Manufacturing: 4,700; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,400; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.