Overall unemployment rate moved up to 5.7% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH market declined by 207 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 5.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH unemployment rate is 192 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 120 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in July versus prior month by -2.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.5%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 8,500; -100
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,500; -100
- Government: 7,100; -200
- Manufacturing: 4,800; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,600; +100
- Business Services: 2,000; no change
- Construction, Mining: 1,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.