Overall unemployment rate moved up to 6.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH market declined by 467 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 6.0%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH unemployment rate is 221 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 40 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in August versus prior month by -3.4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 8,500; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,400; -100
- Government: 7,300; +200
- Manufacturing: 4,800; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,500; no change
- Business Services: 2,000; no change
- Construction, Mining: 1,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.