Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH market rose by 181 jobs in April and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 4.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH unemployment rate is 146 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 200 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in April versus prior month by -3.4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.6% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 8,800; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,300; no change
- Government: 7,200; +200
- Manufacturing: 4,700; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,300; +200
- Business Services: 2,000; +100
- Construction, Mining: 1,800; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.