Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.1% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 16,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV market declined by 2,383 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 3.1%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV unemployment rate is 22 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 130 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 2.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 803,100; +500
- Government: 712,800; +16,100
- Education & Healthcare: 439,600; +5,200
- Transportation & Utilities: 406,600; -1,700
- Restaurants & Hotels: 310,300; -2,800
- Other Jobs: 198,100; -1,100
- Construction, Mining: 166,400; +2,100
- Financial Services: 147,700; -2,400
- IT & Development: 79,700; +200
- Manufacturing: 56,600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.