Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.3% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 9,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV market rose by 11,229 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.3%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV unemployment rate is 10 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 80 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 3.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 806,500; +4,400
- Government: 714,600; +2,600
- Education & Healthcare: 448,000; +9,400
- Transportation & Utilities: 409,300; +2,900
- Restaurants & Hotels: 305,700; -1,800
- Other Jobs: 199,100; +1,200
- Construction, Mining: 168,100; +1,300
- Financial Services: 147,700; -100
- IT & Development: 80,600; +1,100
- Manufacturing: 57,300; +700
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.