Overall unemployment rate moved down to 7.5% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 900 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Visalia-Porterville, CA market rose by 180 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 7.5%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Visalia-Porterville, CA unemployment rate is 418 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 9.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 33,800; +900
- Transportation & Utilities: 30,100; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 18,800; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,200; -100
- Manufacturing: 13,200; +100
- Business Services: 11,100; no change
- Construction, Mining: 7,700; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.