Overall unemployment rate moved up to 7.9% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Visalia-Porterville, CA market declined by 2,548 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 7.9%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Visalia-Porterville, CA unemployment rate is 450 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 11.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 33,300; -100
- Transportation & Utilities: 30,200; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 19,000; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,200; no change
- Manufacturing: 13,200; no change
- Business Services: 11,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.