Overall unemployment rate moved up to 7.3% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Visalia-Porterville, CA market declined by 2,662 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 7.3%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Visalia-Porterville, CA unemployment rate is 346 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 440 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 3.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 33,000; -100
- Transportation & Utilities: 30,100; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 18,800; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,100; +100
- Manufacturing: 13,100; +100
- Business Services: 10,900; no change
- Construction, Mining: 7,600; no change
- Financial Services: 3,800; no change
- Other Jobs: 3,800; no change
- IT & Development: 700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.