Overall unemployment rate moved up to 7.6% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 3,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Visalia-Porterville, CA market declined by 6,155 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 7.6%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Visalia-Porterville, CA unemployment rate is 382 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 360 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 8.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.9%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 30,000; +100
- Government: 29,900; -3,100
- Education & Healthcare: 18,900; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,200; +100
- Manufacturing: 13,100; no change
- Business Services: 11,000; +100
- Construction, Mining: 7,700; +100
- Financial Services: 3,800; no change
- Other Jobs: 3,800; no change
- IT & Development: 700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.