Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.7% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 4,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL market rose by 7,964 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL unemployment rate is 108 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 180 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 274,600; +4,000
- Transportation & Utilities: 274,500; +1,600
- Education & Healthcare: 222,500; +2,300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 168,800; -800
- Government: 142,400; -1,900
- Financial Services: 136,700; +1,000
- Construction, Mining: 87,600; +200
- Manufacturing: 71,700; -300
- Other Jobs: 49,800; +1,200
- IT & Development: 28,000; +200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.