Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.3% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI market declined by 362 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 3.3%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI unemployment rate is 10 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 30 bps above the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a negative.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 3.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 34,600; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,600; +300
- Government: 16,600; +300
- Manufacturing: 15,900; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,500; +100
- Business Services: 14,300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.