Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.1% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI market rose by 1,457 jobs in March and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI unemployment rate is 65 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 250 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 8.8% and are equal compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 33,800; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,500; no change
- Manufacturing: 15,800; +100
- Government: 14,800; +100
- Business Services: 14,200; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 13,500; +200
- Financial Services: 6,100; +100
- Construction, Mining: 5,800; +100
- Other Jobs: 5,200; no change
- IT & Development: 1,400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.