Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 900 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI market rose by 119 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 4.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI unemployment rate is 22 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 50 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 1.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.0%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 32,700; -700
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,800; +100
- Manufacturing: 16,000; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,600; +100
- Business Services: 14,300; no change
- Government: 13,900; -900
- Construction, Mining: 6,400; +100
- Financial Services: 6,100; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,300; no change
- IT & Development: 1,400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.