Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.3% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which gained 5,900 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA market declined by 20,059 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 3.3%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA unemployment rate is 54 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 200 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 4.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.9% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 413,000; +5,900
- Business Services: 329,000; +400
- Education & Healthcare: 282,900; +500
- Government: 266,800; -3,500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 189,600; +5,200
- Manufacturing: 162,400; +2,600
- IT & Development: 153,500; +5,100
- Construction, Mining: 138,600; +3,500
- Financial Services: 106,300; -400
- Other Jobs: 69,800; +300
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.