Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.2% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 4,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA market declined by 9,044 jobs in July and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA unemployment rate is 58 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 180 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 4.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 413,300; +1,000
- Business Services: 329,400; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 280,200; -2,400
- Government: 266,900; -200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 193,700; +4,200
- Manufacturing: 165,700; +2,900
- IT & Development: 156,500; +2,300
- Construction, Mining: 139,900; +1,700
- Financial Services: 105,300; -1,300
- Other Jobs: 70,200; +500
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.