Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 1,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA market rose by 2,075 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 150 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA unemployment rate is 88 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 240 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 4.6% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 69,500; -400
- Education & Healthcare: 49,000; +1,800
- Manufacturing: 29,100; +100
- Business Services: 28,500; -600
- Government: 27,800; +1,200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 22,400; -600
- Financial Services: 11,800; -100
- Construction, Mining: 10,700; -200
- Other Jobs: 7,900; -300
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.