Overall unemployment rate moved down to 5.7% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which lost 600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA market rose by 1,959 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 5.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA unemployment rate is 195 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 300 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 2.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 69,000; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 49,300; -600
- Manufacturing: 28,700; +100
- Government: 27,400; +200
- Business Services: 26,900; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 19,300; +400
- Financial Services: 11,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 9,800; +200
- Other Jobs: 7,900; no change
- IT & Development: 2,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.