Overall unemployment rate moved up to 5.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 1,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA market declined by 1,217 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 5.5%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA unemployment rate is 166 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 290 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 5.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 70,000; +800
- Education & Healthcare: 47,400; -1,100
- Manufacturing: 28,800; +100
- Business Services: 28,300; +500
- Government: 27,500; -300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 23,300; +1,200
- Financial Services: 11,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 10,600; +200
- Other Jobs: 8,100; +100
- IT & Development: 2,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.