Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 5.5% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA market rose by 1,528 jobs in July and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA unemployment rate is 172 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 280 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 5.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs stayed flat. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 70,000; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 47,400; +100
- Manufacturing: 28,900; no change
- Business Services: 28,300; +300
- Government: 27,100; -500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 23,000; -300
- Financial Services: 11,900; +100
- Construction, Mining: 10,700; +100
- Other Jobs: 8,200; +100
- IT & Development: 2,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.