Overall unemployment rate moved down to 6.1% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 1,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA market rose by 320 jobs in February and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 6.1%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA unemployment rate is 196 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 350 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 68,900; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 49,500; +1,300
- Manufacturing: 28,500; +500
- Government: 27,500; +200
- Business Services: 27,100; -200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 18,900; no change
- Financial Services: 11,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 9,600; -100
- Other Jobs: 7,800; no change
- IT & Development: 2,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.