Overall unemployment rate moved up to 5.7% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA market rose by 422 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 5.7%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA unemployment rate is 191 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 220 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 4.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 70,300; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 47,500; +200
- Manufacturing: 28,900; -100
- Business Services: 28,600; +300
- Government: 26,800; -200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 23,000; -100
- Financial Services: 11,900; no change
- Construction, Mining: 10,900; +100
- Other Jobs: 8,200; no change
- IT & Development: 2,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.