Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA market rose by 276 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA unemployment rate is 60 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 150 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 7.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 2.0% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 38,200; +1,800
- Business Services: 35,100; +500
- Education & Healthcare: 30,100; +300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 29,500; +600
- Transportation & Utilities: 27,500; +200
- Manufacturing: 12,300; no change
- Construction, Mining: 10,000; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.