Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA market declined by 845 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA unemployment rate is 104 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 340 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 38,000; +300
- Business Services: 34,000; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 29,300; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 28,300; +400
- Transportation & Utilities: 27,100; no change
- Manufacturing: 12,500; +100
- Construction, Mining: 9,900; +200
- Financial Services: 6,900; +100
- Other Jobs: 6,400; +100
- IT & Development: 4,200; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.