Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.9% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 2,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA market rose by 2,119 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 2.9%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA unemployment rate is 89 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 250 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 4.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.6% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 35,400; +2,600
- Business Services: 34,500; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 29,500; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 28,900; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 27,300; +400
- Manufacturing: 12,400; -100
- Construction, Mining: 9,900; -300
- Financial Services: 6,900; +100
- Other Jobs: 6,400; no change
- IT & Development: 4,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.