Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA market rose by 1,338 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA unemployment rate is 4 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 340 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 10.6% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.8% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 22,700; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 17,300; -100
- Transportation & Utilities: 16,300; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 13,500; +500
- Business Services: 10,800; +100
- Manufacturing: 7,900; +300
- Construction, Mining: 4,900; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,800; no change
- Financial Services: 3,300; no change
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.