Overall unemployment rate moved down to 6.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA market rose by 2,326 jobs in February and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 6.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA unemployment rate is 186 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 250 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 11.9% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.4% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 22,100; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 17,300; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 16,400; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 12,200; +300
- Business Services: 10,600; no change
- Manufacturing: 7,500; +100
- Construction, Mining: 4,800; +200
- Other Jobs: 4,600; +100
- Financial Services: 3,300; no change
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.