Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 5.0% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the San Juan-Carolina-Caguas, PR market declined by 7,277 jobs in May and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- San Juan-Carolina-Caguas, PR unemployment rate is 162 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 240 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 133,400; -200
- Government: 131,300; -400
- Business Services: 113,900; +800
- Education & Healthcare: 82,000; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 60,800; +200
- Manufacturing: 50,100; +200
- Financial Services: 38,400; +200
- Construction, Mining: 23,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 14,500; +200
- IT & Development: 13,300; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.