Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 5.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 4,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the San Juan-Carolina-Caguas, PR market declined by 10,214 jobs in June and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- San Juan-Carolina-Caguas, PR unemployment rate is 116 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 250 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 2.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.1%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 135,200; +1,800
- Government: 127,200; -4,200
- Business Services: 115,000; +900
- Education & Healthcare: 81,200; -800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 61,800; +1,000
- Manufacturing: 50,500; +400
- Financial Services: 38,700; +100
- Construction, Mining: 23,300; +100
- Other Jobs: 14,300; no change
- IT & Development: 13,300; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.