Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.9% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 1,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the San Juan-Carolina-Caguas, PR market declined by 12,491 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 4.9%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- San Juan-Carolina-Caguas, PR unemployment rate is 112 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 350 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 2.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.4%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 134,000; -800
- Government: 127,400; -1,500
- Business Services: 113,900; -1,500
- Education & Healthcare: 79,900; -1,200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 63,800; +1,500
- Manufacturing: 50,800; +300
- Financial Services: 38,900; +200
- Construction, Mining: 23,900; +500
- Other Jobs: 14,300; no change
- IT & Development: 13,300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.