Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.1% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 6,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the San Diego-Carlsbad, CA market rose by 4,443 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 3.1%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- San Diego-Carlsbad, CA unemployment rate is 22 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 230 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 4.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 282,000; +2,100
- Government: 243,800; +6,800
- Education & Healthcare: 220,000; +400
- Transportation & Utilities: 219,400; -800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 200,300; -4,100
- Manufacturing: 112,200; -1,700
- Construction, Mining: 88,200; -400
- Financial Services: 72,900; -500
- Other Jobs: 53,900; -300
- IT & Development: 22,600; -200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.