Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.2% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 4,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the San Diego-Carlsbad, CA market declined by 13,145 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 3.2%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- San Diego-Carlsbad, CA unemployment rate is 64 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 410 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 4.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 276,600; -3,200
- Government: 249,100; +400
- Transportation & Utilities: 222,200; +3,100
- Education & Healthcare: 219,200; +400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 198,800; +4,600
- Manufacturing: 113,200; +200
- Construction, Mining: 85,800; -900
- Financial Services: 76,200; +200
- Other Jobs: 53,800; -600
- IT & Development: 22,600; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.