Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.0% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 6,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the San Diego-Carlsbad, CA market rose by 24,178 jobs in February and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 4.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- San Diego-Carlsbad, CA unemployment rate is 14 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 320 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 3.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.1% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 279,700; +6,100
- Government: 244,100; +1,500
- Transportation & Utilities: 219,100; -2,700
- Education & Healthcare: 219,000; +4,800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 183,800; +4,200
- Manufacturing: 113,200; -800
- Construction, Mining: 83,500; +1,200
- Financial Services: 75,100; +1,600
- Other Jobs: 50,600; +600
- IT & Development: 22,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.