Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 6,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX market rose by 204 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.5%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX unemployment rate is 12 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 192,500; -500
- Government: 175,300; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 170,200; -1,000
- Business Services: 153,800; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 140,500; +6,000
- Financial Services: 97,600; +400
- Construction, Mining: 62,600; +100
- Manufacturing: 53,000; no change
- Other Jobs: 40,900; no change
- IT & Development: 17,800; +200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.