Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 2,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX market declined by 4,241 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX unemployment rate is 1 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 120 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 5.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.2%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 195,000; +400
- Education & Healthcare: 174,300; +800
- Government: 167,200; -2,100
- Business Services: 154,200; +500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 142,000; -1,400
- Financial Services: 99,700; +1,000
- Construction, Mining: 62,900; -900
- Manufacturing: 53,900; -200
- Other Jobs: 43,600; -500
- IT & Development: 18,300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.