Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.4% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which lost 800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Providence-Warwick, RI-MA market rose by 7,516 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 130 bps to 3.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Providence-Warwick, RI-MA unemployment rate is 35 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 300 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 5.9% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 124,100; +700
- Transportation & Utilities: 102,300; +700
- Government: 75,500; no change
- Business Services: 73,100; -800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 60,000; +700
- Manufacturing: 50,100; +500
- Financial Services: 37,100; no change
- Other Jobs: 25,100; -200
- Construction, Mining: 24,500; +300
- IT & Development: 6,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.