Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.0% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Portsmouth, NH-ME market declined by 703 jobs in April and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 2.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Portsmouth, NH-ME unemployment rate is 134 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 180 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in April versus prior month by 4.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 16,100; -400
- Business Services: 14,900; +600
- Government: 14,600; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 13,000; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,400; no change
- Manufacturing: 9,300; +100
- Financial Services: 5,300; no change
- Other Jobs: 3,000; +100
- Construction, Mining: 2,900; +100
- IT & Development: 1,900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.