Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.9% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 2,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA market rose by 8,588 jobs in March and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA unemployment rate is 15 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 240 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 7.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 223,700; +500
- Business Services: 189,600; +1,000
- Education & Healthcare: 183,600; -500
- Government: 151,300; +700
- Manufacturing: 125,700; +500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 110,500; +2,200
- Construction, Mining: 79,500; +2,100
- Financial Services: 75,200; +300
- Other Jobs: 40,300; +1,200
- IT & Development: 26,800; -300
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.