Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.6% with the biggest shift in Construction, Mining, which gained 3,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA market declined by 9,489 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 3.6%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA unemployment rate is 24 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 210 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 7.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.9% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 223,200; +400
- Business Services: 194,300; +1,900
- Education & Healthcare: 184,600; -200
- Government: 152,000; -1,200
- Manufacturing: 130,600; +1,400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 120,600; +2,800
- Construction, Mining: 83,800; +3,500
- Financial Services: 77,200; +1,500
- Other Jobs: 41,300; +500
- IT & Development: 27,800; +500
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.