Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which lost 3,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Portland-South Portland, ME market declined by 3,678 jobs in September and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Portland-South Portland, ME unemployment rate is 52 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 60 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 4.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.5%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 42,900; +600
- Transportation & Utilities: 38,100; -1,000
- Business Services: 33,500; -800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 26,600; -3,500
- Government: 23,100; +2,000
- Financial Services: 17,000; -100
- Manufacturing: 16,000; no change
- Construction, Mining: 11,200; -200
- Other Jobs: 7,800; -300
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.