Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.9% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 4,700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ market rose by 12,040 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.9%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ unemployment rate is 48 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 200 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 6.6% and are equal compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.1%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 450,700; -3,000
- Business Services: 376,700; -1,900
- Education & Healthcare: 357,300; +1,100
- Government: 239,500; -4,400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 235,800; +4,700
- Financial Services: 212,800; -200
- Construction, Mining: 143,600; -300
- Manufacturing: 142,900; +400
- Other Jobs: 70,500; -300
- IT & Development: 42,900; +800
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.