Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.4% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 2,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ market rose by 11,149 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 2.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ unemployment rate is 135 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 300 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 6.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.1%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 458,700; +800
- Business Services: 378,100; -1,300
- Education & Healthcare: 353,700; +2,000
- Government: 242,600; -500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 225,200; -1,500
- Financial Services: 213,500; -1,500
- Construction, Mining: 145,100; +1,300
- Manufacturing: 141,800; +400
- Other Jobs: 70,100; -800
- IT & Development: 40,300; -600
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.